The Love/Avon Partnership
The Love/Avon Army of Women is driven by two key partnerships that will accelerate research and prevent breast cancer: the partnership between Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation and the Avon Foundation for Women, and the partnership between scientists and women.
The Avon Foundation for Women
The Avon Foundation for Women, an accredited 501(c)(3) public charity, was founded in 1955 to improve the lives of women and their families, and more than half a century later this mission is brought to life through a focus on breast cancer and domestic violence. Through2012, Avon philanthropy has raised and awarded more than $910 million in over 50 countries worldwide.
While advances have been made, breast cancer remains the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women worldwide, and there is a new diagnosis more frequently than every three minutes in the US. Since 1992, the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade has raised and awarded more than $780 million worldwide to advance access to care and breast cancer research, with a focus on the medically underserved. Funding supports five areas: awareness and education; screening and diagnosis; access to treatment; support services; and scientific research.
Beneficiaries range from leading cancer centers to community-based non-profit breast health programs, creating a powerful international network of research, medical, social service, and community-based organizations focused on defeating breast cancer and ensuring access to care. Programs have been supported in 50 countries, and key achievements include:
- More than $140 million awarded since 2000 to support 10 Avon Foundation for Women Breast Centers nationwide that provide exceptional research and care.
- Over 1,500 grants to community-based nonprofit breast health organizations, including support for approximately 125 organizations annually.
- Funding for more than 175 safety net hospitals and support organizations that ensure quality care for the poor. Investment of more than $170 million in research to understand potential causes of breast cancer and develop new treatments.
- Educating more than 142 million women about the importance of breast screenings and early detection.
- Facilitating access to mammograms for 18-million women.
The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade raises lifesaving funds and awareness through many initiatives, including the US Avon Walk for Breast Cancer series, the sale of special pink ribbon products worldwide, the Walk Around the World for Breast Cancer program, free educational materials and Public Service Announcements. For more information, visit www.avonfoundation.org or email email@example.com.