The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation
The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation, an accredited 501(c)(3) public charity, (formerly the Santa Barbara Breast Cancer Institute) was founded in 1983 to eradicate breast cancer and improve the quality of women’s health through innovative research, education, and advocacy.
While advances have been made in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, we still don’t understand what causes breast cancer or how to prevent it. The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation is dedicated to getting to where breast cancer begins and is engaged in an extraordinary opportunities to focus on breast cancer prevention.
Some of our recent projects include:
- The Army of Women Program, giving all women, with or without breast cancer the opportunity to partner with researchers and take breast cancer beyond a cure.
- The development of an inexpensive and easy to use band-aid-like test strip that can assess whether a premenopausal woman is at risk of developing breast cancer.
- A study exploring the effect of previous pregnancy on the physiology of the breast ducts.
- A study investigating whether pregnancy causes permanent molecular changes in breast tissue that reduces breast cancer risk.
The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation is dedicated to educating the public about breast cancer risk assessment, detection, prevention, and treatment. We are also committed to advocating for expanded breast cancer research funding and for programs that will ensure all individuals have access to free or low-cost breast cancer screening and high-quality treatment.
As part of our efforts Dr. Susan Love and the Foundation:
- Maintain an award-winning website.
- Respond to site visitor’s questions about breast cancer detection, prevention, and treatment.
- Provide educational lectures, keynote addresses, and other presentations at breast cancer and women’s health conferences throughout the world.
- Host the biennial International Symposium on the Intraductal Approach to Breast Cancer.
- Work closely with the National Breast Cancer Coalition (Dr. Love is a founder) and other local and national breast cancer organizations and foundations.
- Offer information to site visitors on how to become a breast cancer advocate.